Monday, February 26, 2018

Blood Song~Anthony Ryan | Review

Title: Blood Song (Raven's Shadow #1)
Author: Anthony Ryan
Genre: Fantasy
Length: 591 Pages
Release: January 2011

Review
"He had seen men drunk before but never on blood."


I make it a point of not reading books that I don't think I will like, but sometimes I like books more than I expect to like them. This is one of those. I expected it to be a lot darker than I like to read, and it was dark, but it was also well written and had so many underlying tones of hope and goodness that it kept the darkness from being overpowering.

Vaelin was a really likable character, which surprised me somewhat. For no real reason either. I enjoyed his progression from beginning to end. From a young child and on into adulthood, his story is never easy. He does some terrible things along the way--he's definitely not an innocent man, but he's also good in a lot of ways and I loved that about him. 

A majority of the other characters were also likable. My favorites were Nortah and Frentis, though neither of them appeared as much as I would have liked, particularly near the end. 

While I did really enjoy this novel a lot, I don't know that I will continue with the series. I've heard so many negative things about the following installments, particularly the final one, and I don't want to ruin how much I liked this one. In a few months I will reevaluate and see if I have changed my mind on that. I won't have time to pick it up before then anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment