Monday, January 8, 2018

The Field Guide by Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi | Review

Title: The Field Guide (The Spiderwick Chronicles #1)
Author: Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi
Genre: Children's Fantasy
Length: 112 Pages
Release: May 2003

Review
About a year and a half ago I found this entire five book series at a thrift store and decided to buy them. I didn't know much about the series, other than that there was a movie made, but for five bucks I decided to take a chance. And now, over a year later, I have finally started reading them. And I'm really glad I have. 

This first book is about the Grace children: Mallory, Jared, and Simon. Their lives have changed quite drastically in a short amount of time and they find themselves in a new home. Things get interesting when they hear things in the walls and Jared discovers a field guide to faeries. 

The plot is simple because this is focused toward children, but well detailed and clever. The writing is also really excellent and engaging. Although targeted at a younger audience, this can easily be enjoyed by adults. My sister and I read this first book together and plan to continue reading the series in the coming days/weeks. I hope that the remainder of the series holds the same charm as this first installment. 

We're excited to share these books with our six and seven year old niece and nephew, who we think will really enjoy the story and humor. 

The illustrations are also really great and should work well when trying to engage younger children in the story. I highly recommend this first book.

No comments:

Post a Comment