Monday, September 25, 2017

His Majesty's Dragon~Naomi Novik | Review

Title: His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire #1)
Author: Naomi Novik
Genre: Historical Fantasy
Length: 353 Pages
Release: March 2006

Review
This is going to be a hard book for me to review. The premise is really interesting, despite the fact that books with dragons generally don't appeal to me, and I was really excited to read this. And while I enjoyed it, there was still something lacking for me. 

The writing style took a little getting used to, as it very much reads like a classic British novel. That in itself is really neat, but I wasn't expecting it, so it was kind of jarring at first. Once I was used to the style, I did quite enjoy the style. There were other things that I did not enjoy as much, however. 

Characters--as I'm sure anyone who has ever read a review from me knows--make or break a story for me, in general. While the characters here were interesting and overall likable, I never really felt like I was connected to them. I know some people are off put by Laurence's manners, finding him stiff, but I really liked that aspect of his character. But even still, I never felt like I knew him. 

Temeraire was also likable and I did like how the dragons were written and that his development was so fast. It was an interesting process to follow. But, again, he didn't feel that real to me. The relationship between Laurence and Temeraire was pretty great though. It was nice that they became so attached to each other, particularly once you see the way some of the other dragons and riders interact. 

The world created here was well done and intricate. Dragons fighting in the Napoleonic wars is such a fun concept. And don't worry, you don't have to know all the details of this period in time to appreciate the story. The types of dragons were also well explained and explored. 

Overall this was just kind of forgettable to me. It is enjoyable enough while reading, but I don't find anything that compelling in the story. I don't know that I will continue the series. I can see why it appeals to so many, but I couldn't bring myself to feel more than a general like for the story and characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment