Monday, July 10, 2017

Agnes Grey~Anne Bronte | Review

Title: Agnes Grey
Author: Anne Bronte
Genre: British Classic
Length: 148 Pages
Release: 1847

Review
I read Agnes Grey as a teenager around ten years ago and really enjoyed it, but I think I liked it even more this time around.

Anne is the least known of the Bronte sisters, but probably my favorite of the three. While this novel lacks the excitement and twisted nature of the works of her sister, it has its own charms. It's beautifully written and very real.

Agnes Grey is very biographical and I think that is one of its charms: it's real. Agnes is a young woman who, when her family falls on hard times, decides to become a governess. But life as a teacher to children is not what Agnes had expected and she is face with many trials. The families she works for are often harsh, treating her as more of a servant than anything else. This seems strange to me, since she's teaching their children, so shouldn't she be thought of in nearly the same class as they? But alas, that is not the way of the world. Her pupils are often cruel and obstinate, making it easy to sympathize with her.

Agnes is a likable character and I really appreciate her struggles and the realism of her life. This really seems like a look at life in the 1800's and what it would have been like for a governess. I also really liked Mr Weston. It was nice to see that he couldn't be easily caught by the tricks of those who just wanted to play with him.

This is a very well written and easy to read novel. It's not a great adventure story, or a great romance. It's just a real look at life as a governess. And for that I really appreciate it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment