Saturday, April 8, 2017

The Sweetest Kiss~Susan Hatler | Review

Title: The Sweetest Kiss (Kissed by the Bay #4)
Author: Susan Hatler
Genre: Romance
Length: 150 Pages
Release: August 2016

I received a copy of this novel through Netgalley upon request. All opinions expressed in this review are my own.

Review
While romance is not a genre that I reach for all that often, Susan Hatler's books have become a go to for me. When I need something that reads quickly, has fun characters, and is sweet while being clean, this is my author. 

This story, however was slightly disappointing. I found Megan's internal dialogue more juvenile than Hatler's normal characters, and not in a good way. She seemed too caught up on issues common to a fifteen-year-old, not a twenty-seven-year-old. And I get that these problems and struggles still follow us through our lives (I'm around Megan's age in the story and can relate), but I found it rather off-putting when she didn't seem to learn from the issues she was having. 

The romance in this was also a bit odd for me. I didn't feel any spark between Megan and Brian. And usually the romance aspect is really sweet, so I was upset to find it lacking here. It was nice that they had known each other for so long and were already friends, but I found it difficult to believe that he would have treated her like a sister for so long and then suddenly expressed his feelings. It just didn't fit. 

The art aspect of the story was interesting. It was nice to hear about Megan's paintings and in some ways I wish this had been more of an involved part of the novel. The only thing I didn't like about this part of the story was the obvious "mean girl" Chelsea. Her character was very one-dimensional. 

Overall this was enjoyable but not up to Hatler's normal standard of feel good romance. It had sweet and cute moments, and I still recommend the series, this one just wasn't my favorite. I am looking forward to reading more (and hoping that two certain characters get their own story soon).  

No comments:

Post a Comment