Monday, September 19, 2016

Morning Star~Pierce Brown | Review

Title: Morning Star (Red Rising #3)
Author: Pierce Brown
Genre: Dystopian/Science Fiction
Length: 524 Pages
Release: February 2016
My Rating: 3.5/5 Stars

Review
This final installment in the Red Rising trilogy might possibly be my favorite of the three. I really enjoyed it from beginning to end. There are a lot of powerful moments contained within this novel and series as a whole. 

While the writing style is not my favorite, I do feel that Brown was able to connect emotionally with me as a reader. This trilogy as a whole, but this book in particular, felt very similar in tone to fiction surrounding wars like WWI and WWII. A lot of the same struggles with defining what is "right" and what "wrong" were present and I think made the novel much more powerful. My only real complaint about Morning Star is the fact that there is so much swearing and crude humor. This detracted from a lot of the powerful messages that were present, dimming there effect on me. Some of it was understandable in context, but it went to extremes that it really didn't need to. 

The characterization throughout this series was very impressive. Sevro is one of my favorite characters and I loved seeing how much he grew from the start of Red Rising to the end of Morning Star. Darrow himself, who I had a really hard time liking in the beginning, really grew on me and had some excellent development. He started to realize his weaknesses and play more to his strengths, relying on those around him instead of pushing them away. 

Brown has crafted a compelling society within this series and I look forward to reading the spin off series to see if he is able to continue improving his writing and this world. This novel had a satisfactory conclusion and was really touching in regards to certain characters and how their stories were resolved. I was glad to see that redemption is possible within this world. A solid conclusion to an exciting series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment