Monday, August 8, 2016

Against a Brightening Sky~Jaime Lee Moyer | Review

Title: Against a Brightening Sky (Delia Martin #3)
Author: Jaime Lee Moyer
Genre: Historical/Paranormal
Length: 336 Pages (Hardback)
Release: October 2015
My Rating: 4/5 Stars


Review
I found Delia's Shadow while browsing through the library a couple of years ago. It was on the new books shelf and the cover immediately pulled me in. When I found out it was a historical book involving ghosts I knew I had to read it. And I have really enjoyed the entire trilogy.

This final installment in Delia's story was an engaging and fun read. It's been a while since I've read a good mystery book and I forgot how much I enjoy them. It's always fun trying to figure out the mystery before the characters, rooting for the good guys, and being surprised along the way. And this was no exception.

The story is told in alternating viewpoints from Delia and her husband Gabe. I love the way this was done. Delia's portions are all told in first person, while Gabe's perspective is written in third. This keeps the two from mixing together or becoming too similar, though each character has a very distinct voice anyway.

Delia and her friend Dora can both see ghosts and deal with occult forces. This plays a huge part in the story but is by no means the only focus. Through these ghosts Delia is able to help Gabe (who is a police captain) solve difficult cases. This novel is no exception as they are all pulled into a fight with a necromancer who is killing off the Russian royals after WWI.

One great thing about these books is that it has extremely strong women characters. They are all loving and supportive wives, mothers and friends. But they also have other depths to them. This does away with some of the stereotypes surrounding women of the time period.

I don't want to go too deeply into the story as you should experience it for yourself, but it's both hopeful and heartbreaking. New characters are introduced and it's hard to tell if they are villains or good guys. It deals with nightmares, murder, suffering, love, hope, and friendship. It's a beautiful world and I will miss reading about these characters. Delia and Gabe are fantastic, but I also love Dora and Randy as well as Sam, who was adorable.

If you like ghost stories and historic fiction, read this series and enjoy the ride.   


No comments:

Post a Comment