Thursday, July 28, 2016

Everything, Everything~Nicola Yoon | Review

Title: Everything, Everything
Author: Nicola Yoon
Genre: YA Contemporary
Length: 306 Pages (Hardback)
Release: September 2015
My Rating: 3/5 Stars

I received a copy of this novel through First In Line during Yallfest 2015.

Review
This book left me feeling very conflicted. While I enjoyed reading it and found that the message was overall a great one, it just never had a wow factor for me. The characters were likable, but not amazing. The plot was believable and had some surprises, but still never just grabbed me. The romance was cute and had several adorable moments, but I just wasn't invested. And I can't really say why. 

The premise behind this book was really interesting. A girl who has been sick her entire life meets someone who makes her wish for more, even when she knows she can't have it. She begins taking risks and questioning the things she's always taken as fact. And some of that stuff needs to be questioned. 

I found the relationship between Olly and Maddy adorable at times. It was really cute to see them get to know each other through email and IM. It was nice to see how supportive they were of each other and how they wanted to help each other. 

I found Madeline's mother a very hard character to either like or dislike. She was not really a major part of the book and that was obviously done intentionally. I understand why she did some of the things that she did, in a way, but it's still no excuse for a lot of her actions. It would have been interesting to see her character explored some more. 

The ending was very satisfying and had a nice openness that allow you to imagine many possibilities for these characters. I would have liked certain things to be more fleshed out, but overall it was a fun read.  

1 comment: