Wednesday, April 20, 2016

This Lullaby~Sarah Dessen | Review

Title: This Lullaby
Author: Sarah Dessen
Genre: YA Contemporary
Length: 345 Pages (Paperback)
Release: May 2002
My Rating: 3.5/5 Stars

Review
So here's the thing. Certain things about this book I love and other things just drove me completely insane. Let me just give you some highlights of what I thought.

Remy, our main character, was frustrating and not a very easy character to sympathize with. Her problems were realistic and I understood why she was the way she was in a lot of ways, but she just wasn't easy to like.

I adored Dexter, our main guy. He had his own set of problems, but he was so fun. I loved it. He just made me smile whenever he showed up in the book. I've liked most of Dessen's guys in the past, but I don't remember one making me smile like Dexter. He was sweet, crazy, and just fun to have around. And he made Remy a better person, in a lot of ways. She learned a lot from being around him. 

Chris, Remy's older brother, was another selling point for the book. I love good sibling relationships and I thought this one was great. It was nice to see how they had grown apart and see them coming back together. Again, Chris had some issues that he was working through, but he was overall a really good guy. And he loved Remy, even when she was a total jerk. 

Remy's friendships were less likable, but still, I did enjoy her friends in some ways. They each had some major issues, but I could see why they would all have come together. I also did not really enjoy Remy's mother. But then, when is there ever a great parent in a Dessen novel? 

The ending was not completely satisfactory for me. It wrapped up too nicely without enough explanation. I would have liked a little more work on Remy's part. It was overall an enjoyable read, but not my favorite from this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment