Thursday, April 14, 2016

The Shadow Rising~Robert Jordan | Review

Title: The Shadow Rising (The Wheel of Time #4)
Author: Robert Jordan
Genre: Fantasy
Length: 704 Pages (Hardback)
Release: September 1992
My Rating: 4/5 Stars

Review
This has been my favorite book of the series so far. But I still have to ask, did it really need to be this long? And by that I mean the series. Don't get me wrong, I love series. And I love long books. These just feel like there are a lot of words used to say very little. Nevertheless, they are strangely addictive.

This book picks up right after book three and has our heroes juggling some new forms of crazy in their lives. Can't give too many details without being spoilery, but there were definitely some things I called from previous installments. Some old characters returned and in different ways.

I still haven't been able to really love any of these characters, aside from Perrin. Faile was interesting when first introduced, but throughout this installment she became very bothersome. Still, Perrin overrode her annoyingness enough to make their parts my favorite. The wolf dreams continue to be interesting and some new things were introduced there.

Egwene remains my most unliked character. I just really can't stand her. Mat isn't a whole lot better, and Rand is frustrating but interesting (particularly when he seems like he's lost it). Nynaeve and Elayne are enjoyable enough. I do really enjoy Thom as well. Lan, the little he's in here, is also a nice addition to the story.

The Dark One is stiring and things start to get crazy for our cast of characters. Paths diverge, converge, and just stamp on each other. Some questions regarding the Aeil and Traveling People were answered and I found that part, while confusing, very interesting.

If you enjoyed the first three books in the series, you'll probably really like this one. If they weren't your favorite, well then, why are you still reading? Just kidding. The series seems to have some ups and downs but this is definitely an up. It leaves us right on the brink of some crazy new developments, making me excited to pick up book five The Fires of Heaven, very soon.   

No comments:

Post a Comment