Monday, April 4, 2016

Chime~Franny Billingsley | Review

Title: Chime
Author: Franny Billingsley
Genre: YA Fantasy
Length: 361 Pages (Paperback)
Release: March 2011
My Rating: 4/5 Stars

Review
When I first finished this book I think I rated it a 3 star and since then it's gradually moved up to 4. The more I think about it, the more I realize how much I enjoyed this book.

The style and story are very odd, but in a good way. It works. At first I was a little hesitant, but once I got going I really enjoyed it. The main character, Briony, believes herself to be a witch and has to hide this or be hanged. She's been taught to hate herself and her narrative can be somewhat depressing because of how much she bashes herself.

While some people may find Briony hard to relate to and difficult to connect with, the opposite was true for me. Her depression and self hate, while not entirely what I do, are things that I see in myself. Being in her head was a lot like being in my own, at times. When I first started reading, that was difficult for me because my head was in a dark place. Once I put it aside and developed a new mindset, I was able to enjoy it much more thoroughly.

So the story basically follows Briony as she tries to hide her witchiness and protect the people close to her. She uncovers things about herself, things she suppressed, along the way, so there is an air of mystery as well. She believes herself incapable of love. Both loving and being loved.

The characters in this book are so wonderfully crafted. Briony has her own issues and sparkles (in my opinion) as the narrator. Eldric, the new "bad boy" who wants to break away the ice around Briony was amazing. He could be annoying at times, but these two together was perfect. There was plenty of witty banter. The other character that really stood out to me was Rose, Briony's identical twin sister. She was so different from Briony and I learned to love her as the story progressed.

If you're looking for something odd, give this book a try. It has darkness, humor, romance, and weirdness. And it's strangely addictive. So be prepared to not want to put this down.  

No comments:

Post a Comment