Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Unbroken~Laura Hillenbrand | Review

Title: Unbroken
Author: Laura Hillenbrand
Genre: Historic Nonfiction
Length: 473 Pages (hardback)
Publication: November 2010
My Rating: 5/5 Stars

Review
I am fascinated by history, particularly that regarding WWII. Several months ago I saw this movie and had to pick up the book. Louie's story was compelling, heartbreaking, and inspiring. 

This book follows the life of Louie Zamperini, who was lost at sea when his plane crashed, declared dead months later, and lived for over a year in a Japanese POW camp. But first he was an Olympian, competing in track and field events. 

There are so many people who's stories will never be told, but finding the ones that are always fascinates me. And one thing that I loved about how Laura constructed this story was that she incorporated so much about the other prisoners and Louie's family into the story. I felt connected to the other POWs through the stories and connections that were made. 

I don't feel that there is any way to adequately do this book justice with a review. It spans years and continents. There is horror, hope, love, happiness, and redemption. It's educational without reading like a text book. I highly recommend that you go and pick it up right now. 

This was an incredible read for me and has been one of the things inspiring me to read more about this era in world history. There is so much to be learned from the experiences of those who came before us. So go read this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment