Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Tuesday Talks | Favorite Characteristics of a Heroine/Protagonist

Well, today is Tuesday, so it's time for another Tuesday Talks! Tuesday Talks is a goodreads group created by Janie and Janelle and it's loads of fun, so you should check it out.

My Favorite Characteristics of a Heroine/Protagonist
I really like this topic. It's one I've been thinking a lot about recently. There are many things that I find important in a female character, particularly the heroine or protagonist. I'm going to share a few of those with you. 
  • They shouldn't always rely on others to fix their problems. I want a strong leading woman, not someone who constantly needs to be rescued. However, she should be able to appreciate other people and the help they give/offer. So I guess strong and humble. 
  • Being single is ok. Maybe it's because I read so much YA but it seems like so many women in fiction are obsessed that they can't be alone. I really don't like that. Yes finding love is important, but you should be able to be your own person without having The One in your life. No one else can complete you. They can make you stronger, but only if you were already strong on your own. 
  • While being strong is important I think it's also important to show emotion. So many times I get frustrated with women in books who refuse to tell people they love them or cry in public (which yes, is also hard for me) or any number of things. But it seems like so many writers are trying to force me to believe that those are bad things and they aren't. Showing emotion does not make you weak. How you act on those emotions does. 
I'm sure there are many others that I'm not able to think about right now, but these are some things I've noticed recently that just really bug me.

So what characteristics do you want to see in the heroine? Let's discuss in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment