Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Tuesday Talks | My Thoughts on Non-Readers

Tuesday Talks is a weekly discussion hosted by Janie and Janelle. You can find the goodreads group here. This weeks discussion topic is non-readers. Here are some of my thoughts.

This next part may seem like random rambling, but it really does have to do with my thoughts on non-readers. Promise. 

First of all, you know that old saying that reading makes you smarter? Yeah, I thought so. We all know that one. Most of us also know that this isn't the case. At least not entirely. I think that reading has the potential to improve the mind of every person. However, it's up to the individual to gain insight and further their intelligence through reading. I don't necessarily mean that you have to read literary texts or great historical accounts to attain knowledge growth, you just have to open yourself to new possibilities. I, for one, tend to feel sharper mentally after finishing a particularly engaging novel. The subject matters much less than the questions raised in the story.

So for my thoughts on non-readers. I love discussing novels and my reading with others and I think there is much to be gained from reading, so it's difficult for me to accept the fact that many people don't enjoy reading. Both of my parents were avid readers when I was growing up. They read a wide range of works and we always told each other stories when I was a child. I know that not everyone had the same background as me and that to many other families books were not as essential as they were to mine. Often I think that people have not found a genre or type of book they enjoy reading. I've met many people who have told me that the novels they were forced to read for school turned them off from the idea of reading. That, my friends, is extremely unfortunate. 

I don't mind that other people don't enjoy reading as much as I do. I do, however, dislike when other people try to tell me that my reading is a waste of time. For me reading is something mentally stimulating and relaxing, so non-readers telling me I'm wasting my time can tend to be annoying. Particularly when these people own and watch thousands of movies. I don't really understand the difference between my love of reading and their love of movie watching.

Often I encourage people to try out the books I'm reading. This is particularly true of my family. I love a certain novel so much that I have to tell all my sisters about it and hope they like it as much as I do so we can discuss it together. I also encourage others to read when the topic comes up. I don't try to force my reading habits on others, but I will let them know about authors and books I particularly enjoy. 

I'm personally not a huge fan of audio books, but I even tell non-readers that they might enjoy a book on tape. I know a lot of people who listen to books while driving who rarely just sit and read. It's a great way to experience a story for those who like to listen to things in particular. 

While I have many friends who are non-readers, I find it more difficult to have lasting relationships with people who don't read or like to talk about books. My everyday life is so infused with reading, writing, blogging... that I have a hard time not relating everything to a story of some kind. I constantly jot down new story ideas or poems and I want those around me to appreciate the art as much as I do. 

So non-readers, just try it out. Find something you think you might be interested in and give it a go. You never know when you might find a new passion. People change every day. Just because you didn't much enjoy reading in the past doesn't mean it's off limits in the future.

Sorry this post has been mostly rambles, but these are some of my thoughts (if you can make sense of them). You can find me on YouTube, Twitter, and goodreads. I would love to connect with you and talk about books!

Until next time, this has been your book loving friend Courtney.      

2 comments:

  1. I can relate to you! Reading is one of my favorite hobbies... I can just sit there for hours holding a good book:)
    This is such a well written post!
    June
    The Journeys of My Beating Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much! :D Reading is one of the best things ever. When I find a really good book it can be hard not to just read...No matter how much other stuff I need to get done!

      Delete