Tuesday, October 14, 2014

The Fault In Our Stars | Movie Review/Thoughts

I just watched The Fault In Our Stars, the movie based on the novel of the same name by John Green. I know, I'm a little behind, but I want to share my thoughts on it anyways.

Brief Synopsis
The book/movie centers around Hazel Grace Lancaster, a girl with cancer who knows her days are numbered. To make her parents happy, Hazel attends a support group for cancer patients/survivors. One day she meets Augustus Waters, a boy who has been in remission for just over a year after having part of his leg removed due to Osteosarcoma. The two become instant friends and their love blossoms under the knowledge that they will not live forever and their time together is limited. They journey through hospitals, to Amsterdam, through novels and video games. They question their existence and what comes next. They live.

My Thoughts
First of all, I really liked the book. And when I like a book I rarely like a movie based on the book. The details I love so much in the story are sacrificed to make it "viewable." Also, the writing can rarely be adequately transferred from book to film. The two are such different art forms that I think sometimes film makers sacrifice their own art and talent trying to take the work of someone else and adapt it using their area of expertise. This saddens me. I love art and expression and using your creativity to share beauty with the world, I just find it difficult to really appreciate the effort someone has put in when I loved the original version so much.

Now that that little ramble is behind us, shall we get to my thoughts? Yes, I think we shall. Let me start by saying that I think this was an excellent adaptation (yes, this is right after seeing it and no, I have not read the novel in several months). There were obviously several things changed/missing from book to movie, but honestly I didn't mind that much. The thing that bothered me the most was probably the scene with the swing set. A scene that really isn't that big of a deal for the novel as a whole, but could they not have gotten just a few more of the details correct?

There were a few characters missing or skimmed over in the movie (mostly in connection with Augustus) and a few characters I would have liked to see more of (Isaac!), but overall this didn't bother me. I found the love story between Hazel and Gus beautiful and their explorations of life and death almost just as captivating as they were in the novel.

There are scenes that make you laugh. Scenes that make you cry. And yes, there are scenes that make you do both. It's a bittersweet movie about falling in love and knowing that you're time together is ticking away rapidly. But some infinities are bigger than others and your love can be forever even as you drift away. I'm sure I will be watching this movie again. It was well acted and beautifully shot. The emotions were high and pain heartfelt. It's a gem of a movie.

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once."

Tell me what you thought of the book/movie and how it was adapted!
Check out my youtube channel, CourtneyReads, if you would like. I'd love to interact and get your feedback!

Until next time! This has been your book loving friend,

Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment